Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Teacher Gifts

The annual holiday gift collection letter arrived in my son's backpack today.  The room parents are asking for a small cash contribution for a gift for his teacher.

My children's teachers are on our family's holiday gift giving list every year.  We usually contribute to whatever the room parents have in mind.  Most years, the class gives a gift card.  One year, parents coordinated the purchase of monogrammed beach bag. Another year, parents chipped in for a souped-up electronic pencil sharpener for the classroom, at the request of the teacher. 

In addition to the classroom gift, I know some families who give their own personalized gift--a tin of cookies, a craft or a handwritten note.



When I was growing up,  I remember going to a Hallmark store and buying my teacher a "#1 Teacher" mug or ornament.  I wonder how many of those teachers receive every year!

I read an interesting article in the Boston Globe today that made me think of this topic, "Schools Caution Against Pricey Teacher Gifts".  In the Boston area, schools are taking proactive steps to limit extravagant teacher gifts given to teachers, especially in the suburbs.
School superintendents across the region are penning letters this holiday season to parents, cautioning them against going overboard with gift-giving to teachers, principals, and other staff members.

That means no pricey gift certificates to spas or fancy restaurants, no hard-to-get tickets to the theater or sporting events, no fine wine, or anything else valued at more than $50.

While acknowledging that parents’ gift-giving gestures may be well-intentioned, the superintendents say that the state’s new ethics law forbids public servants, including teachers on public payrolls, from receiving gifts with value in excess of $50. Violations are subject to civil penalties, the superintendents warn.

Have you noticed that teacher gifts are "going overboard" in Norwalk? Maybe, you think a teacher gift is not necessary, especially in tough economic times like these.

What are you planning for your teacher's gift? Aside from your child's teacher is there any one else on the school staff that you make sure to include in your holiday giving? 

If you are a teacher, what do you appreciate in a gift?  

My children are in elementary school. How does this practice change in middle school and high school?

9 comments:

  1. I always try to give a thoughtful gift such as a Barnes & Noble gift card to my child's teacher. When my son was in middle school, I gave each of his teacher's a gift card to Dunkin Donuts. They LOVED it because at that level it wasn't expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a preschool teacher, I love anything for the classroom - a new book for the class library; anything we can use for crafts such as construction paper, sequins, etc. I enjoy the "consumables" that make life more fun during the day and give the kids more things to make to share with their families. I have enough. My life as a teacher is about doing for the children and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teacher I love gift cards to Barnes and Nobles OR Amazon - that way I can expand my first grade library of books for students to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a teacher, I always appreciated gift cards to places like Walmart, Staples, Target, Barnes & Noble, etc. Most of us are always picking up 'just a few things' for our classroom and this really helped. The things that mean the most, though, are the letters and notes about how you have touched a child or a family. And they don't cost a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no reason for a student to feel any sense of obligation to buy a gift for a teacher, and it does put some students into a very uncomfortable position because no child wants to feel "different" by not doing what the majority of other students do. What about the students who don't celebrate the Christian or Jewish holydays? What about those who consider such celebrations inappropriate? We need to remember that we live in a pluralistic society. We also need to remember that there are some students whose families are in dire financial situations, and even $5 is money that can be better used in some other way.

    And, yes, I am a teacher. Yes, I have received gifts from students, but I think it is a practice that is unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give the teacher a $25 gift card for Barnes and Noble. I'm also the room mom for my son's class. We don't do a holiday collection because I realize that not every family can afford to give something - even a few dollars. Let it be up to the individual families to do what they like, if they choose to do anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree it is unfortunate. I have been in classes where teachers open the gifts during circle time - talk about singling out those that don't bring something! My first year teaching, I was completely surprised by the gifts at the holidays and the end of the year. Since that, I have sent a nice note home in early Dec. and again in early June telling families that I don't want or need anything, my gift from them is being able to be part of their child's life for a year.
    Really, what greater gift is there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful comment, 7:05 AM!! It's beyond my ability to understand the teachers who would open gifts in any public way and who would allow others to know which students had (and therefore, which students had not) given gifts to the teacher.

    For those of you who can easily afford the gifts and who feel the need to give something, let me suggest that you mail gift cards to the teacher, using the school address.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with many of the above sentiments, but one idea for gift giving has not been mentioned - and that is a gift of giving. This year I received an early Holiday gift - a gift of a chick to an impoverished family through Heifer. It was a very special gift.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis