Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Obama Tells Kids to Work Hard

The White House has released the text of the speech that President Obama intends to give today (Tuesday) to the nation's school children. The speech emphasizes taking personal responsibility and the importance of working hard in school.

"We can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, and the best schools in the world and none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities," said President Obama's written remarks. "Unless you show up to those schools; pay attention to those teachers; listen to your parents, grandparents and other adults; and put in the hard work it takes to succeed."

In an attempt to connect with children who are not focused on their studies the President recounted the educational challenges he faced in his own life:

"I know a lot of you have challenges in your lives right now that can make it hard to focus on your schoolwork. I get it. I know what that's like. My father left my family when I was two years old, and I was raised by a single mother who struggled at times to pay the bills and wasn't always able to give us things the other kids had. There were times when I missed having a father in my life. There were times when I was lonely and felt like I didn't fit in.

So I wasn't always as focused as I should have been. I did some things I'm not proud of, and got in more trouble than I should have. And my life could have easily taken a turn for the worse. But I was fortunate. I got a lot of second chances and had the opportunity to go to college, and law school, and follow my dreams."

President Obama's speech has generated controversy because some conservative commentators and parents believed the President would use the occasion to inject politics into the classroom.

The speech is largely apolitical with only a passing reference to the Obama Administration's plans to reform schools.

According to a statement issued last Friday by Asst. Superintendent Tony Daddona individual teachers and principals would decide whether or not to show the speech. Students and parents could opt out if they wished.



Appearing Sunday on the CBS News program "Face the Nation" Education Secretary Arne Duncan said of the Presidents speech:

"At the end of the day, if the president motivates one C-student to become a B-student or one student who is thinking about dropping out to stay in school and take their education seriously, it's all worth it."

I'm not sure if my kids will be seeing the speech in school, but if they aren't I plan to watch it with them after school. I would be interested in getting your opinions about the speech and especially what your kids thought.

8 comments:

  1. I respect the value we give to freedom of thought, expression and speech, values that right-wing commentators seem to forget whenever the views expressed vary from those of the right. They so often refer to themselves as patriots, but they never explain how they are more patriotic than anyone else. If it means that they want to preserve the way we have always done business in this country, I understand. Many of us believe that this country needs to do business differently, and that doesn't make us less patriotic.

    What is unpatriotic is to regard our nation's duly-elected leader as unAmerican. What is unpatriotic is to hope that the Obama administration will fail, as Rush Limbaugh has said.

    Anyone who dislikes President Obama's views can support the opposition in the next election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the speech and thought it was simply wonderful. I really makes me sad and angry that so much time and effort was wasted pandering to the silly opinions (Arne Duncan was right) of a highly vocal minority.

    Norwalk school officials should also be ashamed of the position they took. Basically they said that parents can opt their child out of any part of the curriculum.

    Next week I guess I don't want my kid taking English because they'll be reading a book I don't like. The week after that no Science because they're teaching about the solar system and I think the earth is at the center of the universe.

    Come on start making a system where are kids are actually learning something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All Saints Catholic School refused to air the speech because it was "inconsistent with what they want their students to learn". I have never in my life heard such a bunch of garbage!! After everything that school put their students through last year when 2 students were hospitalized with injuries sustained from a repeat bully, police reports filed, and nothing happened. We were promised a staffing change, new attitude and the works if we gave the school one more chance. They are back to the same old tricks and should be ashamed of themselves. This is one of those days where I am ashamed to have believed them and kept my children in their horrible little school. And it's not just me, it's a very large group of parents who asked that their children be allowed to watch our elected President and Commander in Chief and were told to mind our own business. That, and the young bully who cruelly tortured so many children last year over and over again, was allowed to return to school and has already gotten in trouble for hitting another child on Friday at recess. We are gone, unless changes are made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People, things are a mess, we all know that.

    Didn't get this way overnight.

    We have been falling and failing a long time.

    There is no magical carpet here or smoke and mirrors. Its going to take hard work and the colaboration of everyone.

    Why we let a generation or two or three slip through are hands is for the historians to decipher.

    We have a substantial challenge before us and it is going to take each and everyone of us to meet this challenge.

    Education is a nonpartisian issue.

    This is an American issue.

    Educating and preparing the next generation and beyond to face the challenges they will face, is our responsibilty, it's our watch.

    It is our moral and civic duty to protect and prepare our children, there is nothing more patriotic, no higher calling than to give the children a chance.

    Now, lets all get busy and on task and change our world for the better, one child at a time.

    Our President has challenged all of us to;

    "Raise the Bar"!

    Are we fired up?

    Ready to Go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo, President Obama! I can't understand why anyone would have an issue with anything that was said in that speech. I particularly liked that he shared his experiences as a young man growing up without a father. It's beyond me how someone could not agree with the values (hard work, goal setting, listening to teachers) expressed in that speech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also don't understand why so much time last school year was devoted to celebrating the election results and inauguration, and then the students are not allowed to hear the President speak during the school day? I watched it last night with my kids on whitehouse.gov, and they enjoyed it, but I can't help feeling that it would have been more exciting for them to see it live in a school setting, sharing a common experience with their fellow American students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how it was front page news in the Hour that Briggs students had the opportunity to watch Obama's speech. It should have been part of the school day in all Norwalk's school, not front page news about the one school that was the exception. Does the Board of Ed somehow feel that there was a message that Briggs' students should hear that would be offensive and threatening to the students of other schools?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ridiculous! Which Norwalk Public School Principals decided to allow students to watch their president and which ones decided that watching the president was 'a waste of the school's time?' Let the public know...and shame on the principals who decided not to allow students to watch !! Board of Ed, take note. Principals should not be allowed to make these decisions....The decision not to air the speech showed extremely poor judgement on their part.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis