Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

New NPS Website and The Khan Academy

The new NPS website launched today!  Bob Polselli, IT Director, will be presenting the new website to the BOE at tomorrow night's meeting.  I'm thrilled to not have the blue screen anymore.  What do you think of this new version?

More technology--I introduced my kids to the a very interesting web service.  The Khan Academy has 1000+ videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance. The videos have been recorded by Salman Khan, a former hedge fund manager. My elementary school kids have seen several of the math videos and really like them.

Each video is about 8 minutes long and covers a single concept. Mr. Khan is never seen on camera. He uses a computer chalkboard to give examples as he explains each topic.  He begins with very simple concepts and gradually builds to advanced ones.

During an interview with NPR in December, Mr. Khan explained that he began the project three years ago as a way to tutor his niece in math. She lived in New Orleans while he was living in Boston. He just kept recording different topics and found that he had a following on YouTube.

Mr. Khan has quit his job and now records YouTube videos full time. His videos are watched around the world and Microsoft awarded him an Innovation in Education award.

P.S. My youngest son's name is Salman too!


4 comments:

  1. Very Cool!! I love this and it will come in handy as I remember very little algebra/chemistry/geometry! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the website and I commend Dr. Polselli for his "guided tour" of the site. Suggestion: Put the central office contacts, the schools, etc., into alphabetical order. Unless there is some order that I haven't seen, they are randomly arranged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears that the contacts are sortable if you click on the column heading. I only know this because my son's college uses a Sharepoint site. I emailed their feedback address and let them know to make it more apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lordy, what an improvement! The old site was embarassingly bad. Blue on blue - what a concept. Plus it was so hard to find links to the individual schools, which is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis